Saturday, August 23, 2014

A car museum (Pictures) in a town up by the Nebraska border...

We rode to Wetmore, Kansas.. It was 114 miles from my home here in Olathe/Overland Park..   This is North of Topeka on the road that goes to Omaha..... The cafe wasn't anything really special..  I had a small biscuit and gravy with a side of sausage...



We left KC at 7:30 and went thru the rush hour traffic to get out of town...  But the main attraction in Wetmore is the car museum..   It looks like a Chrysler dealer outside but it turns out that's just a historic sign... They had all kinds of cars...


This is in the wrong order, but this is the city hall with the post office next door...



I don't know all of the years, but this is a Cadillac..



1957 T Bird



1957 hardtop convertible Ford



1946 Chevy Pickup...  IF they would have sold it to me I would bring this one home....


Early 50s Chevy pickup



Willys Overland Jeepster  about 1950



Nash   "Hey buddy how do you get this thing out of second gear...? Beep beep!"








Pegasus gas pump..... Those are worth a fortune these days...



My riding partner Al in his orange safety shirt...


The owner purchased a historical gas station next door and it is part of the display...  The car is an Oldsmobile from the late 30s



Oldsmobile had the V 8 Rocket motors before any other GM product.... Note the overhead valve engine.... Fords were still all flat heads..



Mustang...  I wonder what he had to pay for this little jem...


Inside the old gas station...



This was down in the basement of the car dealership museum...  He found it in a barn somewhere in Kansas...  It hasn't been restored yet... just washed up some....  Oldsmobile about 1968 or 69 2 door hardtop... Note no post...



It was well into the 90s when we left town about 11 AM...  We rode back to Atcheson for about an hour and a half but got quite hot by then.... Stopped at a McDonalds......  For about an hour... to cool off.

The next jaunt was down to Platte City just North of the KCI airport....   Again we were dying from the heat and stopped at another McDonalds for more ice water... And this time an ice cream cone...

The last jaunt was back home on I 435 at 75 mph...  By then it was 97 degrees and the wind felt like dragon breath....  It was almost 5 PM when I got back...  But Biscuit was over at Ben's house in the A/C so she never missed me a bit!

Retired Rod

6 comments:

  1. Nice car pics

    I remember well driving a bike in high temps, thought I might just cook to death.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey slow down.......I'm still working my way through the bike's second fill up of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For not having been restored yet, that last Olds sure looks to be in awesome condition. Sitting in a dry barn seems to be the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - nice pics. You really are having some hot weather. We are the coldest place in the nation right at the moment and my heat is going full blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great trip, Rod !!! I sure enjoyed the photos and the variety of makes and models ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a 1968 Mustang...it was the same color as the one in your picture and it had the black vinyl top. Think the color was called "seafoam green".

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...