Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Windows 8.1

Moving on to Windows 8.1....  This was 3.6 gig to down load...  Since I only have 4 gig for the entire month on the verizon mifi, something different had to happen.....

So I found an open wifi...  And looked at it to see if it was unlimited access....  And yes the router was connected to the local cable company...  So I connected and downloaded our really big file...  It took quite a while but it was a done deal after a while....

So now I have my smaller HP up and running on W 8.1....  But all is not well...  Seems as though Skype doesn't like the new operating system....  It just crashes...  Says it is trying to resolve the problem...  But then goes away and doesn't come back...

And I use the blogger interface to write the blogs...  Never did like the MS Live Writer program, found it too involved..  The blogger client doesn't like W8.1 much though..  It seems to get along on text ok, but if you try to add a picture or a video....  You just get a blank screen..

I haven't decided why that is yet either...

And then when I was reading Rick's blog tonight, it didn't like the fact that he was using google + for his comment format...  It just wasn't there....  I messed and messed with that one, and just a mysteriously as it was gone, it came back and started to work...

So while I didn't have a bit of trouble downloading or installing the W8.1 programs, on my 18 month old HP, a number of the features that normally used to work, seem to be gone...  This computer started life as a W7 machine, so perhaps changing it over twice might be an issue....

Who knows..

Retired Rod

4 comments:

  1. I am really dreading Windows 8--have resisted doing anything until it is time for a new computer--Rick would tell me to stop being a wienie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Microsoft just rolled out a brand new Skype App specifically designed for Windows 8.1 - Skype for 8.1 maybe that will solve the problem.

    I'm not sure why you'd be having those other issues though. I've upgraded all of our computers to 8.1 without any particular problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way it goes, folks who have some core competencies with IT stuff never have any trouble. The rest of us need surgery to remove the tumor that seems to grow immediately upon me even thinking of doing something techie. Now if they were just as simple as horses. You ask, they do, simple.

      Delete
  3. I'm really nervous about updating to 8.1 but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do it this week-end. With MediaCom I don't have to worry about my gigabyte limit.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...