Friday, December 21, 2012

Working on the car and shoveling snow.....

As I was sitting here last night writing the blog, it was raining outside...  And reports from my friends up in Iowa were reporting snow...  With thunder and lightning...  Thunder snow, is the official term..  weird...

We had the thunder and lightning here too, but it waited until the wee hours of the morning to begin to snow.....  Wet heavy sloppy sticky snow...  We got about 2 inches that was wind driven into the screens on the windows...  And then frozen down...

It was 11 AM before things got back to somewhat normal, and I went out to do some shoveling...  Sweep off the truck and car, but serious shoveling still isn't in the cards for me.... I feel the surgery from last year if I lift too much heavy..

They don't seem to do much in the way of plowing our streets here in Kansas... Never did do any of the side streets... They melt and get slushy and sloppy and then freeze again at dark...  And the drive melted enough to make a skating rink out of the slushy ice and now is frozen again....

But my project today was to find some new covers for the phones, and get a new battery in the 4 year old Camry...  So while it was in the melting part of the day, I was stopping by auto parts places checking out the prices...

Ended up at Auto Zone, where I got a 640 cold cranking amp group 24 battery with three years of warranty for $119...  There were some $99 batteries at several of the places, but most wanted money to install them...

Auto Zone did it for free...  So I added on some new wiper blades to boot...  One of their guys went out and did the whole deal right in their parking lot...  Always wonder if they are zoned for such work outside of a garage, but perhaps the powers that be don't understand what is taking place....

Anyway by late afternoon we took our grand kids back to their own house, so its all quiet again here...

Tomorrow is the day where the sun is at its lowest point of the year, so our nights are the longest tonight and tomorrow night....  So from that point on, we should have the days increasing in daylight...   Well that is unless the earth ceases to exist tomorrow because of the Mayan calendar...

But its already tomorrow on the other side of the earth, and no one is reporting anything.... But if they don't exist any more perhaps we won't have any reports.........

If you are reading this tomorrow...........  Well lets hope we make it thru tomorrow's really long night!!!      By the way isn't it the Mayans that don't exist any more..?

Retired Rod

3 comments:

  1. I work in a credit union (well, for three more days!) and yesterday we had a member come in to take out some cash. So she says to the teller, "well you know the world is supposed to end tomorrow..." I'm thinking she is kidding. Then she continues..."so I'm going to go buy some batteries and extra water. Won't do me any good if the world ends, but maybe the power will just go out." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - I'm alive!! I'm not sure what the schedule is for the Mayan Apocalypse so maybe I'll have to wait until midnight just to be sure.

    I've been reading that John Boehner is actually hoping the Mayan prophesy comes true!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...