Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Packing up, and a lawn chair!

Well this is the night before the big week.  Dayton Hamvention in Dayton, Ohio.  Tomorrow is departure for Des Moines, where I will join up with nine other fellows for our annual trek East.

I have been trying to think of all the stuff I need to get ready, but as I age, thinking off all the stuff gets more difficult.  So simpler is now my mantra.  Who needs all that stuff anyway?

Clothes, camera, Pills, medications to go with all the pills, and lets see did I get the clothes?  Oh a new lawn chair, like the one my son Ben had this weekend on the campout.

He got it at Sam's Club, and when I got back yesterday I went over there and they didn't have any more!  Drat!   So I thought about it some and decided they might have some over at the store in South KC on the Missouri side.

So in the driving rain about 5 PM, I drove to Missouri.  About 15 miles from here, and went to the Sam's Club there.  I wandered the store and didn't find any.  I was about to give up, when I did something very un male like!  I found a clerk, that was kind of rough and tumble, ya know, like me,  LOL, and I (shudder)  ........ asked if he still had some.......

He imediately said "ya I think so"  and led me to a shelf back by the wall.  And lo and behold they still had four.  Two Red, and two Lime Green.  Ben's were Blue but it didn't take me too long to decide that there wouldn't be any lime green ones at my house.

More like lima bean green, ugg!  So the two red ones are in the back of the pickup.

Stuff is laying out all over the house, but if it quits raining some in the morning, I'll get it out in the truck.  I got all day to get up to Des Moines, and its only a 200 mile drive.

So I do have somewhere to go, but yes I have all day to get there.

Retired Rod

7 comments:

  1. Had a new Mazda 808 back in 73 & thought the color was kinda neat........lime green:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think us males are allowed 3 times a year of doing something un-male like without losing our official "Man Card".

    I would say you are still good.

    Just don't read any installation instructions for a while or anything like that! lol

    Ken and Nanette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow they must be GOOD friends, KC to Dayton by way of Des Moines is a heck of a roundabout way, about 350 miles worth. Hope you have fun at the Hamfest, I was always a little bit of a closet ham, you know scanners, CB's , but I never got around to the test because at the time you needed to know code, wouldn't mind seeing a pro's setup like yours someday. who knows this could take the place of model trains( digital controlled) I can't take with me. when we fulltime.Have a safe trip, Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rod,
    Regarding your comment on Al's journal.
    I read you every day, but you don't have a "Followers" place on the side, or I would be an official one.
    I know you have more than eight!
    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Penny.... I read your blog also. I agree however, it isn't about the numbers its about the friendships and what we learn from each other.

    Have fun!
    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
    http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you Rod, asking a clerk in a store for something is about a last resort for me, don't know why though. Have a great time at the hamfest!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always consider myself lucky when I can find a clerk in a store to ask, and then the gods of fortune are smiling on me for sure when the clerk can lead me to the product I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...