Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I did it!

I am sitting here with a brand new Hp Windows 7 laptop.  Just like all of you, my faithful readers had predicted.  I simply decided that I was overanalyzing the situation, and went and bought it.

True to my instincts, I went for most of what I wanted, but still relatively cheap.  Yah I am …well… tight you might say.

Best Buy had most of the stuff I wanted, on a off the shelf model.  Off the shelf is always more inexpensive, as they can build a train load of the exact same thing.  You know without needing any brains to configure only one.  Then copy, copy, copy.

So as I sit here typing a blog in Live Writer, that was already loaded on the hard drive from the factory, I’m sure you all want to know the specs so you can be assured that your machine is faster and better than my inexpensive jobby.  So here goes.

It is a Hp dv6 1355dx, available only at BB.
15.6 inch widescreen Pavilion
Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 processor 2.2 Ghz, 2Mb L2 cache, 800Mhz Front side bus.  (wish FSB was faster)
4 Gbyte ddr3 memory.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS
500GByte SATA 5400rpm HD. ( nice size but 7200 rpm would have been nice)
8x Dvd +- RW Double Layer with Lightscribe
Web cam, microphone, 100baseT ethernet, 5 way data card reader, 3 usb ports. 56k modem
802.11 b/g/n wifi adapter
The list goes on, but you get the idea.  What’s not to like, perhaps would be nice for a bluRay dvd, but at the price, this is good enough.

What was the price you ask, $649 USD.  How do you go wrong?

Now Loyce didn’t exactly have our day planned on me getting this new computer and spending the day holed up downloading the world.

I was allowed to go get it but we had a day out with the Gkids, where we went to the old Union Station train depot in downtown KC.  It is something of an attraction on its own right, and that took all day.  We even went to Red Robin for supper tonight, so the new laptop was locked away in the trunk crying.  Run me!  Or was that me crying?

I did take a bunch of pictures, and they are downloaded onto the old laptop, but I will write a blog about that separately.

I am amazed that there is not a lot of bloat ware on this machine.  It is probably on the hard drive, but the screen was relatively clean when I started it up. 

So now I need to download all of the programs that I normally use, while I am still here at the endless gigabyte cable system internet pipe.  Once back on the aircard, I will have to be a good boy, if I want to play all month.

Retired Rod

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new toy! I hope you get lots of enjoyment from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Choice! I need to do the same but am having a hard time letting go of the desktop machine...it is just runs ro well but lacks portability. Shari and I both hog the laptop (shich is really "hers") so I guess I will head to BB after Christmas rush ends to look around. Thanks for the inspiration and ENJOY....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck of a deal there Rod!! That's a very nice configuration and should give you plenty of speed and great performance. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments had to be eliminated.... For the most part this has removed unwanted responses.. If you can't post your comments, please email me and we will make other arrangements...